[Tweeters] Clark County Spring Migration location

Jim Danzenbaker via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 29 15:16:48 PDT 2024

Hi Tweeters,

Just wanted to let everyone know of a new migration location on Larch
Mountain in Clark County. We have named it "Larch Mountain - Spring
Migration Viewpoint". I found this spot last May when I noticed massive
numbers of neotropical migrants flowing through on days with a strong
north/northeast/east breeze/wind. This year is the first year that the
site is being visited in March and April. So far, the results have been
mixed but the raptor migration is interesting. No huge numbers but the
quality is good. This morning there was an adult AMERICAN GOSHAWK that
flew through and we've already had two Golden Eagles (March 15 and 23).
Both of these are great birds in Clark County. We've had tooting Northern
Pygmy Owls on each of the 7 visits so far. Western Bluebirds have been
nice to watch and just up the road are booming Sooty Grouse. We've had 40
species so far at this location this year.

I've attached a few ebird reports which show the location of this ebird
hotspot and will give you an idea of the birds..

https://ebird.org/checklist/S166396511
https://ebird.org/checklist/S165731591
https://ebird.org/checklist/S137462894 (May)
https://ebird.org/checklist/S137875587 (May)

In late April into May, be prepared to see passerines zipping through that
have no interest in being identified.

If you visit, please know that a Discover Pass is required. The last third
of a mile is uphill on a dirt road (after an open gate) which currently is
in good condition. The spot is right after the second telephone pole on
the right after the telephone wires cross from the left side of the road to
the right.

Good birding to you and remember to keep your eyes and ears skyward!

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker
Battle Ground, WA