[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu Apr 28 14:22:19 PDT 2022

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022, Steve Litt wrote:

> I would agree with the preceding except for one thing: All email clients

> suck, and you never know when you're going to have to change email

> clients.

"not all but most of them" (this is a pun in Italian "tutti no ma buona
parte", attributed as a reply of cardinal Caprara to Napoleon, when the
latter asked whether all Italians are thieves. "ma buona parte" sounds
the same as "ma Buonaparte" ... and Napoleon was born in Corsica when this
was under Genua, and he had stolen a lot of masterpieces).

I had to change my email client only once, long ago, from IBM Rice Mailer
to Alpine (from pre-Internet to SMTP) and was satisfied with both (unlike
past and present alternatives). I see no reason to change unless the way
mail is *delivered* changes.

>> Yes, that is (was) my setup. fetchmail + spamassassin + amavis + clamav

>> + procmail delivering to mbox folders.

I had for some time SMTP + spamassassin + amavis + procmail on my machine
(I doubt I have ever had clamav on MY machine), then we had SMTP +
spamassassin + amavis + clamav (yes) on the institute server, and I
retained SMTP + procmail on my machine (where I have also an IMAP which I
seldom use). Then my institution moved to Gsuite so I now use fetchmail +
procmail. Always delivering to mbox folders.

(Incidentally Gsuite antispam has much more false positives than our
old spamassassin)

>> Then at some point I added dovecot (because the imap package from Mark

>> Crispin became unavailable on openSUSE).

One can compile Crispin's imap from the source distributed with Alpine,
that's what I did on openSUSE at the institute.

> :-) Now what's not to like about DKIM, DMARC, OATH2, and all that other

> stuff designed to make email inconvenient so people will switch to

> facebook?

Not in my name :-( (or No pasaran!)

If the institute Gsuite (which is currently my main e-mail feed, via ssh
from home) moves to OATH2 forbidding fetchmail AND imap, I'll guess I'd
move at least my private mail to some other provider, and forward the
official one to it.

I would also not be displeased with running my own SMTP/MX at home, if
I'd understand how to get a static IP instead of a CGNAT DHCP to get a
domain of my own.

> I like having my 20+ years of emails not depending on which email client

> I happen to use.

I have stuff since 2003 online (locally) in mbox folders, from 1993 on CDs
in mbox, and earlier in IBM 'NOTEBOOOK' format (also plain text ...
converted from EBCDIC to ASCII long ago :-)

>> I hope imap lives forever.

> Me too.

+1, and alpine too

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)