[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Thu Apr 28 17:36:46 PDT 2022

On Thursday, 2022-04-28 at 23:22 +0200, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022, Steve Litt wrote:

>> I would agree with the preceding except for one thing: All email clients

>> suck, and you never know when you're going to have to change email

>> clients.

> "not all but most of them" (this is a pun in Italian "tutti no ma buona

> parte", attributed as a reply of cardinal Caprara to Napoleon, when the

> latter asked whether all Italians are thieves. "ma buona parte" sounds the

> same as "ma Buonaparte" ... and Napoleon was born in Corsica when this was

> under Genua, and he had stolen a lot of masterpieces).

:-)

> I had to change my email client only once, long ago, from IBM Rice Mailer to

> Alpine (from pre-Internet to SMTP) and was satisfied with both (unlike past

> and present alternatives). I see no reason to change unless the way mail is

> *delivered* changes.

Netscape on Win 95 to Alpine on Linux and Netscape. Plus Exchange on a
corporate account, Outlook on another...

>> :-) Now what's not to like about DKIM, DMARC, OATH2, and all that other

>> stuff designed to make email inconvenient so people will switch to

>> facebook?

> Not in my name :-( (or No pasaran!)

> If the institute Gsuite (which is currently my main e-mail feed, via ssh from

> home) moves to OATH2 forbidding fetchmail AND imap, I'll guess I'd move at

> least my private mail to some other provider, and forward the official one to

> it.

Forwarding can also have interesting mishaps ;-)

Like the final destination thinking that the forwarded mail is spam and
bouncing it, and you getting the reports from the bounces.

> I would also not be displeased with running my own SMTP/MX at home, if I'd

> understand how to get a static IP instead of a CGNAT DHCP to get a domain of

> my own.

No, no way with CGNAT, unless getting an IPv6 address instead. Or with a
tunnel.

>> I like having my 20+ years of emails not depending on which email client I

>> happen to use.

> I have stuff since 2003 online (locally) in mbox folders, from 1993 on CDs in

> mbox, and earlier in IBM 'NOTEBOOOK' format (also plain text ... converted

> from EBCDIC to ASCII long ago :-)

>>> I hope imap lives forever.

>> Me too.

> +1, and alpine too

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from openSUSE 15.3 x86_64 at Telcontar)