[Alpine-info] multiple mailbox locations?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Sat Jun 25 12:47:39 PDT 2022

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022, Patrick J. Collins wrote:

> Is there a way for my pinerc to specify two locations for mail?

You can have as many locations as you want, local and remote even in
different locations.

I have defined as "incoming folders" at least 3 locations (actually I have
5 but some are vestigials) , and as "folder collections" more than half a
dozen locations.

All the "folder collections" but one are local directories (each one with
many folders mainly grouped by topic). The other one point to Gsuite IMAP
to see all folders there BUT the inbox (de facto I have only Spam and Bin
which I clean daily).

The first of the "incoming folders" is my LOCAL inbox
(/var/spool/mail/user) ... I used to receive mnail directly there, but
soince we moved to Gsuite it is populated by fetchmail. The other two are
the Gsuite IMAP inbox (this is emptied by fetchmail every 5 min, so I use
it only if I cannot wait) and a POP inbox on another provider (this is
emptied by fetchmail twice pr day). The other two vestigial ones are local
folders populated by procmail for spefici rules (subjects/origin).

Of course everytying which is in local folders (for me the majority, it
used to be the totality before we moved to Gsuite) CANNOT be accessed when
you are away from office or home or wherever your machine resides.

For me it is not a problem (I am not a frequent traveller). I can always
ssh to my machine, or activate an (UW) IMAP server there.

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)