[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Nov 30 14:31:02 PST 2023

Carlos,
It is the united nations convention on the rights of people *with
disabilities*.
not for the blind.
It is the Americans with *disabilities* act, not the blind.
It is the Ontarian or Manitoba's with *disabilities* etc.
Inclusion from a computer or website standpoint according to the w3c is
not about blindness, or tool. It is about interaction.
Does it work with the keyboard for example..here are two such guidelines.

Guideline 4.1 Compatible: Maximize compatibility with current and
future user agents, including assistive technologies.

Guideline 2.1 Keyboard Accessible: Make all functionality
available from a keyboard.

You are, understandably given the "we have blind googlers!" statement
assuming that the hundreds of millions of people on this planet who may
have a diagnosis related to sight loss are..all in the dark, all use
speech, in short are interchangeable for one another.
and more than that population are entitled to access, what happens if you
experience paraplegia, or are dyslexic..that population uses screen
readers too.
your question assumes that no individual human experience, ability,
patterns for learning, environment can exist within this population, and
that is simply not the case.
Odd example, but that is like saying cannot laws about ethnic groups who
are of Asian heritage simply be applied to those who identify as
indigenous?
That answer is no.
In fact that is what web content access guidelines are about..keeping
folks from focusing on the body, or the disability if you will.
Does that resonate?
Kare