[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Thu Nov 30 15:25:29 PST 2023

Hello Milt,

That's not the password that some users are complaining about.

When alpine is first run on a computer it wants a Master Password to run.

It won't acce[t a blank password, and it won't accept a short password
either, so in my irritation I put in "alphabet" and it asked for me to
confirm alphabet so I did.
Now every time i run alpine I have to type that password.

I have alpine compiled with passfile so the first time I opened alpine it
asked if I wanted to store my email password to disk and I answered yes.

Now when I want to check my mail I type alpine, then I type alphabet and
alpine opens up.

I still think it would be wonderful to be able to opt out of the master
password addition with a compile-time option --no-masterpassword or
something like that.

I can see how having such a master password is very valuable to some, but
there are many people who just need a simple text only email client and
alpine works very well with screen readers, the blind console users just
love it, but most don't like the extra step of putting in the master
password. They just want to get to their mail.

Regards,
David