[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Nov 30 16:24:22 PST 2023

chime,
again speaking personally, the laws themselves tend to be just fine.
Where the challenge comes in is that, in many ways those impacted are
individuals. instead of focusing on the laws, test for function and
interaction, very well meaning people try to focus on the people instead.
Our "we have blind googlers!"
Imagine if he crowed "we higher Asians! how well that statement would go
over laughs.
allot of well meaning people, met a single example of a category and
decided they spoke for everyone..turning that token encounter into
software development etc.
And, again speaking personally, many in said population were thankful to
be at the table. That person must be like me, so I can belong.
One of the most important rules Canadian reporters got about Indigenous
coverage is that you should not assume that one person speaks for all
indigenous people.
absolutely hands down to assume that one person experiencing dyslexia or
hearing loss or a brain injury or blindness speaks for the entire
population. That there is a blindness community or paraplegic community
with every single member sharing the same needs is wrong too. Do those
behind such choices mean well? sometimes, likely most often.
Does it lead to progress? that is debatable. After all, as I understand
it, much Linux innovation came from folks not finding what they needed in
windows. same for Apple.
The laws though? the ones that specifically say, build with a certain
basic floor, html, css, then add the fancy stuff on top? those are fine.
After all the law says current, not modern.
What is current in India is equally as important as what is current in
Wales.
With the web more like concrete, a super highway, built from solid
stuff..do that and high heels or a scooter can get to the goods.
Final point here. the co-director of Crip camp, Oscar-nominated film
about some teens with disabilities starting a movement in the 70's made
this comment when asking for a ramp at the Academy awards.
Why should anyone have to talk about their body to a stranger to get
service?
Google staffer crows about blind googlers while no one from the company
monitors their accessibility list.
apple produces coda putting an aspect of deaf culture on to the Oscar
stage. Microsoft puts a person identifying as blind in a Superbowl
commercial about gaming.
How many of those blind googlers show in public facing advertising for the
company I wonder?
Off her soapbox,
Kare