[Tweeters] other platforms like eBird

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 12:48:26 PDT 2023

Dear Tweeters,
A question has been posed about other platforms, similar to eBird, but offering more than just birds. There are indeed many such platforms.
Two of the most popular European platforms are iGoTerra and Observation.org (I might have the quirky capitalizations slightly off).
Here is a link to an excellent article about this very topic.
Other platforms like iNaturalist · iNaturalist

The article has a link to a spreadsheet of dozens and dozens of wildlife listing platforms from all over the world, quite a few of which allow the user to list not just birds, but spiders, dragonflies, fish, and so forth. There is a wealth of information on the spreadsheet document.
I myself have tried iGoTerra, after it was recommended to me by some Swedish birders, but I could not make heads nor tails out of it.
For my own purposes, I have been using a very clunky method, but one that sort of works. Since I use AviSys, I just created a series of AviSys codes, such as /M for mammal, /Am for amphibian, and so forth. That allows me to sneak in a listing of a non-bird in my bird list, so if I see an Eastern Grey Squirrel or a Bullfrog, I can make a note of it, and find it later by searching for the codes for mammals, amphibians, etcetera.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch