[Tweeters] Birding Guide for a day on Maui

Nagi Aboulenein nagi.aboulenein at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 09:30:06 PDT 2023

Agree totally on Hosmer’s Grove - it’s must see for birders on Maui, and the best accessible place for some of the endemics. When visiting Hosmer’s Grove, which is inside Haleakala National Park, they should also go to the top and look for ‘Ua’u, aka the Hawaiian Petrel. We’ve also found Waihe’e Refuge fun to bird, and got some lifers there. Additionally, on the northern tip of Maui there is a spot called Nakalele Point Lighthouse, from where we managed to catch White-tailed Tropicbirds as well as Greater Frigatebirds. And you can always get surprised by various seabirds (Petrels, Shearwaters, Boobies, etc) if on a dive or snorkel boat.

Someone already mentioned Ke’alia NWR, so won’t go into that. Kanaha Pond State Wildlife Sanctuary can be fun too.

Lastly, a place on the “Road to Hana” called the Garden of Eden Arboretum has some good birding too - just be aware that entrance is pricy at $20/person.

Since previous posters mentioned the Nature Conservancy’s Waikamoi hike, just wanted to add a word caution regarding that hike - it is wonderful, and yesterday Taghrid and I were extremely fortunate to see two critically endangered species there: the Akohekohe (only around 1200-1400 left in the wild, and only inside the preserve), and the Kiwikio (Maui Parrotbill), which is in even worse shape with only 100-120 left in the wild. Two potential downsides: one is that it can be tough on the knees with some steep terrain and a narrow boardwalk, and the second is that Waikamoi hike is also referred to as the birders’ lottery because it can be tough to sign up for a spot due to high demand with only 6-8 person being allowed on the once-per-month hike.

Other than the Waikamoi hike, all the other spots are pretty readily accessible and a guide isn’t really needed.

Good luck and good birding!

Nagi