[Tweeters] Fir Island and Samish Flats (SEO)

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed May 3 09:21:10 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I did another of my "survey trips" yesterday. Reports ...

Fir Island - drove most of the roads on Fir Island. Very few birds
of any kind. Wiley Slough remains totally closed to the public. *Sigh*.
Looks like it will be so until November ... ??? I did not see any
trucks coming and going and when I rolled my window down and listened I
could not hear any heavy equipment working in the distance (I was
sitting near the gate where the "Closed" signs are).
I got out of the car and went up and stood on the dike at the Jensen
Access. No shorebirds except a few Dunlins. No raptors (I often see
Harriers and Eagles here). There were several Song Sparrows in the
bushes and on the fence - and when I played their song (Merlin) they
moved back and forth around me trying to find the rival/mate. It
was fun and they didn't mind.

Tulips - drove past Roozengarde - lots of tulips, not many people
(weekday). It looks like they will start clipping the blossoms soon.
Next year!

Samish Flats - sat at the East 90 for over an hour. Only one other
birder showed up for the whole time. One Bald, one Harrier, and a
very active day for Short-Eared Owls ... they were "every where" and
one decided it was a good day to have his portrait taken and took up
station less than 20 feet from me in three different spots. I got
some great shots. There were a few song sparrows (3 or 4?).
One was an 'acceptable' in flight, and a lot of perched shots. I
even got a picture of it "blinking" ... didn't see it until I was
reviewing the photos at home. When this happens the bird looks
like it is some kind of escapee from the zombie apocalypse.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S135886391

Is there a more correct term than "blinking"?

There were several SEOs working the wetlands. Went on for at
least a half hour - then they all of a sudden weren't there. Not
long after they stopped a family(?) of rabbits started playing -
racing this way and that and generally "frolicking" - on the
track between that large patch of green bushes and the ditch
that runs East from the East 90. I was hoping I might catch a
hawk or eagle going after them but it didn't happen (this time).
While driving to/from the East 90 I saw 3 RTHs - all sitting
on the wires along a road - always with a ditch below.

Good day to be out!
- Jim