[Tweeters] Wednesday @ Nisqually.

Kenneth Brown kenbrownpls at comcast.net
Thu May 25 07:06:48 PDT 2023

Not quite summer, not quite spring. No unexpected species, no glaring absences. Another boring day at Nisqually? Not at all.

We were briefed this morning that a section of the dike along the Nisqually River would be closed to entry for most of the day for hazard tree removal. (This informal, informative, friendly outreach by the Refuge staff is their consistent approach.) At peak attendance 32 of us ambled along in bovine bliss.

A personal aside: We as a group have to do better at keeping the entrance road clear of us pedestrians. Someone could get hurt.

Lecture finished, the checklist follows.

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
May 24, 2023 7:53 AM - 4:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.47 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Mammals: Harbor Seals, Coyote, Black-tailed deer, E. Gray squirrel.
71 species (+3 other taxa)

Canada Goose 91
Wood Duck 25
Blue-winged Teal 6
Cinnamon Teal 3
Northern Shoveler 6
Gadwall 4
American Wigeon 4
Mallard 60
Northern Pintail 1
Hooded Merganser 6
Band-tailed Pigeon 4
Eurasian Collared-Dove 2
Mourning Dove 2
Rufous Hummingbird 6
hummingbird sp. 2
Sora 1
American Coot 2
Killdeer 1
Whimbrel 6
Wilson's Snipe 2
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 25
California Gull 35
Glaucous-winged Gull 1
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 30
Caspian Tern 80
Brandt's Cormorant 4
Double-crested Cormorant 40
Great Blue Heron 45
Accipiter sp. 1
Bald Eagle 40
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Western Wood-Pewee 8
Willow Flycatcher 10
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 2
Warbling Vireo 3
Steller's Jay 1
American Crow 6
Common Raven 2
Black-capped Chickadee 8
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
Purple Martin 2
Tree Swallow 30
Violet-green Swallow 10
Bank Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 60
Cliff Swallow 20
Bushtit 6
Brown Creeper 4
Pacific Wren 1
Marsh Wren 12
Bewick's Wren 6
European Starling 18
Swainson's Thrush 28 Counted individually by group member tasked to tally this species.
American Robin 40
Cedar Waxwing 50
Purple Finch 6
American Goldfinch 36