[Tweeters] Synchronized diving and Pygmies

Eric Ellingson esellingson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 19:17:40 PST 2024

A good day out birding on the 7th in south Bellingham. I finally found
the Pygmy
Nuthatches <https://flic.kr/p/2prqH2s>. They were out in the open and in
good light, but rather high up on a deciduous tree. They were very actively
foraging pecking around in bark crevices and mossy growths. These guys in
the Fairhaven area of Bellingham have been getting a lot of visitors.

After thoroughly enjoying watching these little guys, Canvasbacks
<https://flic.kr/p/2prqH84> were my next target. Off to Lake Whatcom. I had
never seen so many Canvasbacks so close, around 70. They were all feeding
and diving not long after being on the surface.
And finally my video of the synchronized diving ducks
<https://flic.kr/p/2prqJLK>. Is there a name for the ducks that dive like
this? They are not dabbling ducks for sure.

Eric Ellingson

360-820-6396
esellingson at gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericellingson/