[Tweeters] Predation question

Blythe Horman blythe.horman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:52:35 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

I have a predation question.

On Saturday at Briarwood Park I came across a towhee that had been quite
eaten on the body, but most feathers left intact. Oddly the head was
completely stripped and the brain eaten. No idea if this was a cat or a
particular raptor. This was on a grassy area between thick brush and a
house. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back on LI, when we found a songbird with no head, we knew it had been
eaten by a particular raptor species, but I can’t remember which one. This
was very different, as on LI, the body would be left untouched by the
predator.

Thanks!

Blythe Horman
Lynnwood, WA